Monday, July 23, 2018

Washington DC - July 2018 - Part 2 - DC By Night

One evening, Rebecca and I got the kids to bed and decided to go downtown to see DC by night. Not only was the temperature much more comfortable, but the monuments are all lit up, making the city glow. Most of the pictures speak for themselves.



There were some monuments and memorials that I have never gotten to see up close and one of them was the WWII Memorial. It's an impressive sight, especially at night. They did a magnificent job of creating a beautiful space that evokes a sense of reverence for the men and women who served and sacrificed in the name of defending freedom in the world.





This is the first time (at least that I can remember) every having set foot in the Lincoln Memorial. Having been coming here to visit family since I was little, it's possible I've been here, but I don't remember it. Even at nearly midnight, there was still a crowd, but they were all very hushed and respectful. I think being nighttime gave the the memorial an even more powerful feel and it was quite an experience just to stand there, see Lincoln's statue and to read the Gettysburg Address carved into the wall nearby.

No comments: