Thursday, April 18, 2013

Baby Chicks No Longer

Our chicks are growing so fast! They are 7 weeks old in these pictures and are really filling out into full-blown chickens. While I usually keep them in a chicken tractor, they seem to like roaming the yard, hiding under the woodshed or the persimmon tree or in the fig tree, occasionally coming out to scratch in the garden or yard.
 
Interesting discovery: chickens have terrible night vision. I accidentally left them out in their chicken tractor until dark one evening, so I went to let them out and let them run back to the coop, but they all just stood there. I tried to shoo them out, but they didn't even flinch. It wasn't until I reached in and picked one up that they reacted to my presence at all. I wound up carrying them one by one back to the coop for the night.
 

It's funny to see them run, but they certainly can run fast!
They tend to stay in a tight group. If one gets separated, she will squawk loudly until she finds the rest of the group.



No comments: